Saturday, October 24, 2009

something positive

ok... so I tend to complain a lot... so now for this post, anyway, I want to post something positive.

Today, this morning, at the gym, I burned 648 calories in under an hour. Technically it was 58 minutes - but that is HUGE for me. I was by myself and I guess I was really pushing it. I was on the rowing machine and the stationary bicycle... I am very proud of myself for this accomplishment. I also somehow managed to keep my heartrate in the "cardio range" on the bicycle for close to 20 minutes. Amazing.

Legolas has a "gig" today - his drama teacher, Ms. Mickey, has him performing as a Jedi at a birthday party next door to her... he'll be there about an hour and it is a "paying gig." I am excited for him and very proud of him.

Gimli continues to amaze me with his depths of understanding at times... I plan to take him to the library today to begin a "research report" - he wants to write it on Apollo 11. So while Legolas is Jedi-ing, Gimli and I will venture to the library.

tonight, my Yankees are supposed to play the Angels... don't know if it will come to pass as i just read in the NYTimes that it is supposed to rain in NY today.... I am hoping they do NOT get rained out.... for the players' sakes....

I danced last night - just a couple of dances - at Friday Night Dance at our Ballroom Dance Center. The boys didn't stop dancing all night. I love to see that. They have such an amazing time. Last night I danced a waltz with Brandie, one of the teachers, and a foxtrot with Matt, a regular. I also danced two line dances: a Samba line dance and the Cupid Shuffle. The Cupid Shuffle has got to be the SIMPLEST line dance I have ever seen.... it's still fun though.

I find myself losing patience with people though... that's not like me so much... I used to be a pretty patient person. I guess i'm just getting tired of what i see as stupidity.

Last night we also had a high school book club.... we, the parents, are trying to get our kids to read and talk about the books they've read. We're also trying to get them to step out of themselves and become leaders.... each family selects a book to discuss for that month. Last month we read and discussed C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Legolas really took to that book. I loved it. The discussion could have been better, but it was a start. Last night we read and discussed House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. Good book. Apparently, it is being read in all the schools right now... and I don't just mean here where we live. One of my friends in PA helped a student write a report on this book. I highly recommend it. The discussion last night was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think the majority of the kids did too.... More parents were present which helped model for the children the kinds of discussions that ensue.

Here's where my patience wear thin: when girls, and in this group it's mostly the girls, say NOTHING. I mean they sit there and say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. How is that possible? this is a group of KIDS - all around the same age... - even when specifically ASKED, the answers are very non-descript and the answers are tagged onto another's: "I agree with so-and-so." Oy vey. Step out of yourself and give an opinion. The questions presented were quite thought-provoking.... why can't they just reach in and respond appropriately?

Anyway.... this was supposed to be a positive post so here's the positive take on the above: these silent girls are the very least exposed to conversation regarding the book. Perhaps they'll take that with them elsewhere as they mature in life.

It's the best I can do.

;-)

No comments: