Friday, March 19, 2010

So interesting...

Well life is.... that's just it.... life.

Been too busy wrapped up in life and fb to post.... so many different things have run through my mind to type here - sometimes something of meat and worth, and sometimes something of a one-liner, similar to fb. ugh.

Sitting here at this moment watching Avatar... been coughing in this house for over 3 weeks... getting quite tired of it too. the coughing, that is. Legolas has been coughing for over 3 weeks... me? Two weeks today. And Gimli? just behind me a couple of days. Been to see our gal, Tanya, a number of times, and each time she confirms that it's a virus. Took Legolas to the ped a couple of weeks ago to make sure there's nothing in the lungs.... thank GOD ALMIGHTY there is nothing in the lungs.... and it seems to be a lingering virus of coughing... blech.

I go up and down with people and situations that annoy me.

I haven't been able to get to the gym for a week, now, and I'm not happy about that. I've been too tired and coughing too much... I hope to get my butt out the door tomorrow.

Let's see... since my last post, we went back to Marineland and I got to swim in the deep water with my dolphins. Definitely a healing experience. We spent Thanksgiving weekend just south of St. Augustine.... very relaxing week, thank GOD. I was quite annoyed at the time with book club nonsense, though. Inever seem to get a mental break, know what i mean?

In December, the boys had a performance with musical theatre - they did an amazing job. I"m so proud. Then Legolas performed with the co-op group - they did "A Christmas Carol" in Reader's Theater and Legolas was Scrooge. They did a great job. That was my first experience with Reader's Theater. Very interesting indeed.

We enjoyed Christmas with my Aunt who came from CA to visit... it was fun spending time with her.

Legolas has begun piano lessons. He was tired of violin and wanted to play piano. He began lessons in Sept and is progressing very well and very quickly. Just as he was/is a terrific sight reader with violin, he is proving to be an amazing sight reader with piano as well. I'm so proud.

10th grade has been interesting. I often feel as if I've allowed him to be overwhelmed.... there's so much to cover. He took the PSAT in October.... didn't do as well as I had hoped, but then again, I have very high expectations. I need to look more at the KNOWLEDGE and get my head out of the numbers.

Legolas has become an amazing ballroom dancer. He won a swing contest in their Haunted Eye Ball in October 2009 - and won a free private lesson. He won a hustle contest in December 2009 and won a free private lesson. He applied for a youth scholarship - including having to write an essay for it as well as provide recommendations - and he won the scholarship and five lessons. Now he can "collect" his lessons... he has yet to take a private lesson and still shines... I'm so proud.

He went to the home school prom in March 2010 - rented a tux and everything. The home school prom is open to all home schoolers who are in high school. It was a lovely affair. I took photos before and after - giving him time without me hovering.

Gimli never ceases to amaze me.... with his many talents, he, too, is amazing. His performance in December as the youngest in the group was right up to where the others were. He continues to play violin - ever so strong and bold. He dances right along side all these teenagers and those teenagers, especially the older ones, love him and love to dance with him. Warms my heart for him. He is way beyond his peers.... sad, but true. Not in every way, mind you.... but in many ways.... he has trouble making connections with those his age. I remember Legolas having the same issue at the same age. He didn't connect with anyone until he was in Cotillion when he was 13yrs old.

both boys performed in Showcase in February 2010. Gimli was in three performances: two with the teens and one with the kids. In one of the teen performances, he was the only male given four different dance progressions... the others were all given three. See what I mean about being "ahead"? and the teacher mentioned to me how she had not done that on purpose... but that Gimli kept up with it.... amazing.

On another note, I do not know how my husband manages to keep up with all of this... somehow he continues to work his butt off and manage all the money that allows for us to do the things we have been doing.... i do not know how he does this....

My mother got two stomach ulcers.... yes, two. Joy to the World. that was an ordeal.

I have not been looking forward to co-op this semester. I don't know why. I enjoyed last semester - did Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, with the high schoolers and A Wrinkle in Time with the Middle Schoolers... I'm a bit disappointed with the middle schoolers, though... but I've kept up with it and with them... not giving up, just not receiving feedback I had hoped on a level that I had hoped. My expectations are so high.... I'm not getting what I expect all the time. It's not just "fun" in my mind; it's academic. and important. The boys are not that thrilled with it this year.... neither of them seem to want to join next year... can't say I'm not disappointed about that and I do not know what to do.... I had "plans", ideas, hopes, more books to study and discuss....

I know these are just ramblings.... maybe I'll be able to ramble more later.... I'm just trying to say whatever comes to my mind....

No comments: